There are a few important factors to consider if you have a dog and you don't want it to leave your property. It's potentially dangerous. Pet could run away, get run over, or get hit by a car
Choosing the right construction
You must install a fence around your home. You want an enclosure to keep your neighbors off your property. You typically build a garage near your home to store your car, tools, and auto parts. If your pet does not live with you in a large house, you may frequently put a dog house next to it. Some dog breeds aren't meant to live in cramped flats or houses. They need space. That's why they live outside the home.
What dog breeds are suitable for home guarding?
These breeds include Central Asian Shepherd Dog, German Shepherd, Tibetan mastiff, Doberman, Rottweiler, and Alabai.
Sometimes pets will run away, overcoming an obstacle in the form of a not-very-secure construction.
To avoid such situations, consider several points when choosing and installing a construction:
- the height of the fence;
- how it is set up;
- the material of manufacture.
Now separately on each point.
Only some have the ability and desire to install a huge tall enclosure, like Steve Sax (Los Angeles Dodgers), Toby Keith (country singer), or even the famous American politician Ron DeSantis.
Therefore, when choosing the height of the construction, it is essential to make sure of the following:
- Height. You can estimate how high your dog is capable of jumping. Watching funny cat videos, you'll see that cats jump much higher. But dogs are also capable of jumping great heights. So a fence that is too low won't hold your pet. It is better to choose a construction height of at least 1.5 to 2 ft.;
- Protruding parts. Fences must not have features that your dog can jump onto or over the enclosure;
- Elevations near the fence. When installing the enclosure, ensure no elevation is near the fence. For example, benches, plant pots, boxes;
- Tilt the construction at the top. It is good protection against pets trying to jump out into the street. A slope of about 45 degrees at the top will discourage dogs from escaping.
Which fence will be safe?
For protection and safety, it is better to choose solid, high fences made of durable materials.
You don't have to do the installation yourself. Yes, you may know how to make French toast or how long to boil eggs. There's nothing complicated about it. But there are a lot of nuances in the installation of the construction.
It's better to call in professionals. Perhaps someone is looking for jobs hiring near you, and he is willing to do the installation for a fair price. Just be sure to specify that you need protection from escaping pets.
In the process of installing the fence, you need to do the following:
- Gaps. You can see all sorts of fences, browsing through videos and cool wallpapers with private homes. But some have too many holes. It looks nice, but a dog can easily climb;
- Metal wire mesh. It is a reliable protection for those pets who try to dig a hole under the enclosure to escape. It is best to install the netting along the entire construction;
- Large stones. Coarse stones may be used to replace the mesh. Such a design looks better.
Fences can be made of different materials:
- steel or iron fence;
- wood fence;
- aluminum fence;
- composite fence.
A pet can chew through wood. Plastic is not reliable.
Composite is the best option.
How to teach your dog not to run away
Create conditions for dogs so they do not want to run away from home.
Start by treating him to a tasty treat. You probably know some excellent dinner recipes. If you want to give him a healthy and wholesome treat, use pressure cooker recipes instead.
- set up an area for your pet;
- play in the yard with your pet more often;
- leave toys out in the yard;
- ensure there is constant access to food and water;
- praise and pet your four-legged friend.
When your dog is fed regularly and treated well, he's less likely to want to run away. If you don't want to cook, there's surely a food delivery near you. Plus, you can always give your pet 59 cents of Popeyes chicken or other treats. But remember that food should be balanced and geared towards your dog's breed.